Friday 21 October 2011

Shutting down Windows 7 without installing updates

Sometimes I want to do this, I may be in a hurry but it appears the only shutdown option on the start menu will always install updates if they are there. Lately for me, they're always there as I have about 7 of them that keep failing to install, perhaps that's a subject for another post as I don't want to just post questions here, I want solutions as I'm sure anyone reading this does too.

Anyway, back to shutting down Windows, if you press Alt+F4  on the desktop it will prompt with a set of shutdown options that you probably haven't seen since Windows XP, one will be an option to install updates and shutdown but there is another option there with just "Shut down".

Shortcut keys are a real blessing in any GUI.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can also do shutdown /p /f which tells all programs to stop immediately and the machine to shut down...for those of us that just don't want to let DOS commands go :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. With admin rights, you can also shut down other people's computers as well. Of course, we would only do that in the proper circumstances and not as a practical joke :-)

    ReplyDelete